httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron W Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Timeouts / responsiveness issues with Apache
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:13:50 GMT
Damian Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have recently migrated from several individual Apache 1.3.x servers
> running around 1000 virtual sites each to a server farm with multiple
> servers (Apache/1.3.29) all capable of running all of the sites (about
> 4000 in total).  The server farm is behind a load balancer running
> ldirectord from the LVS project.
>
> The problem we are having is that every so often one of the web servers
> seems to go offline and either become very sluggish with responses or
> even times-out.  If it failed totally, ldirectord would notice and map
> it out, but it doesn't (usually).  After a few minutes of bad
> performance, it usually comes good, but it happens frequently enough to
> one or more of the web servers that it's causes noticeable glitches to
> our clients.
>
> Also, and it may or may not be related, occasionally Apache dies totally
> (ie no live processes) and requires starting again.
>
> Each server has 2GB of RAM.  Websites are a mix of flat HTML through to
> complicated PHP sites using MySQL connections (we've checked the
> database, it doesn't look like this is the problem.)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what could be at issue here?  Does anyone have
> any experience with this sort of large-ish server farm to give us any
> feedback on configuration settings or other tuning parameters?  Any
> decent tuning documents on the web that take into account this type of
> scenario?
>
> Kind regards
> Damian Meyer

Since you are using PHP [with many sites], I would consider lowering
"MaxRequestsPerChild" so that child processes die after a reasonable
amount of requests.

or

I would consider trying regular restarts of apache via cron.  Since you
have load balanced servers, you should not be too concerned with it
failing to restart on one server.  I like Apache and all, but I have had
issues with process "build-up" on heavily used instances.