httpd-users mailing list archives

From Damian Meyer <apa...@damianmeyer.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Timeouts / responsiveness issues with Apache
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:36:17 GMT
Hi,

We have recently migrated from several individual Apache 1.3.x servers
running around 1000 virtual sites each to a server farm with multiple
servers (Apache/1.3.29) all capable of running all of the sites (about
4000 in total).  The server farm is behind a load balancer running
ldirectord from the LVS project.

The problem we are having is that every so often one of the web servers
seems to go offline and either become very sluggish with responses or
even times-out.  If it failed totally, ldirectord would notice and map
it out, but it doesn't (usually).  After a few minutes of bad
performance, it usually comes good, but it happens frequently enough to
one or more of the web servers that it's causes noticeable glitches to
our clients.

Also, and it may or may not be related, occasionally Apache dies totally
(ie no live processes) and requires starting again.

Each server has 2GB of RAM.  Websites are a mix of flat HTML through to
complicated PHP sites using MySQL connections (we've checked the
database, it doesn't look like this is the problem.)

Does anyone have any idea what could be at issue here?  Does anyone have
any experience with this sort of large-ish server farm to give us any
feedback on configuration settings or other tuning parameters?  Any
decent tuning documents on the web that take into account this type of
scenario?

Kind regards
Damian Meyer