httpd-users mailing list archives

From Carl Brewer <c...@vivitec.com.au>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2, CGI.pm, IE and smart quotes
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 03:51:26 GMT

G'day Robert,

Robert Andersson wrote:

> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>>Is it actually IE that's doing the breaking?  We've found the
>>broken encoding, but are confused, because as far as we've been able
>>to test, it does work fine in apache 1.3.
>

> A question though. Does this only affect forms who use multipart/form-data
> encoding? These were the only forms I had problems with.

yes.  It works ok with a normal form, I'm only able to
see the fault when I use multipart/form-data encoding.

Here's my test page :

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI;

my $q = new CGI;

#print $q->header('text/html');
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

my $hidden = "hidden";
my $text = "text";
my $checkbox;

if ($q->param('hidden')) {
     $hidden = $q->param('hidden');
     $text   = $q->param('text');
     $checkbox = $q->param('checkbox');
}

print qq {

<FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" action="testform.pl">

<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="text" VALUE="$text">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="hidden" VALUE="$hidden">
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="checkbox" VALUE="checkbox">

<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="run">

</FORM>

};

my @names = $q->param;
foreach my $name (@names) {
     my $param = $q->param($name);
     print "$name : $param<BR>\n";
}

And if I feed it smartquotes stuff from winword via IE 5.5, it does
exactly as you describe for apache 2, but is ok for apache 1.3.

So in some way, apache 1.3 must be dealing with it, but 2.0(.48)
is broken, or at least, not having whatever it takes to deal with the
IE breakage.

I can't sniff the traffic all that well, as I don't really know how
to do it, but is this something that should/could go into an apache 2
bug report?  I don't think we'd be the only site that's running into
this problem, we're just pretty keen to get all our (complex!)
stuff onto apache2 :)

Carl

--
Vivitec Pty. Ltd.