httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cliff Pennock <apachel...@pennock.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Max number of files in a dir that Apache traverses?
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:21:28 GMT
Dan Trainor wrote:

>Anyone know if Apache is known to not work properly if it encounters
>a dir with an exceptional amount of files in the dir?  I'm working with
>~18,500 files in a single dir.  Apache presents a page almost like a
>Directoryindex page, but with no files.  There's an .htaccess only
>holding an ErrorDocument 404 directive, but other than that, nothing
>else.
>
>Nothing appears in ErrorLog, but oddly enough, access log does not get
>written to.

It does work (I have directories with over 30,000 files and it works
without a problem), but it takes a *very* long time to handle, even on
fast machines. Chances are the connection times out before it is done
building the page. For testing only, try setting the time-out value to
something very high (like 1200 or so) in your httpd.conf and try again.