httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jack L. Stone" <jackst...@sage-one.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:41:39 GMT
At 06:39 PM 1.26.2004 -0800, David Blomstrom wrote:
>I currently have reseller accounts with two ISP's
>using Apache/Linux, and both allow me to install
>FrontPage extensions through the Control Panel.
>
>One thing to be aware of, though - and you probably
>know more about this than I do - is that URL's aren't
>case sensitive on Windows servers, but they are on
>Linux.
>
>I designed my websites years ago with FrontPage and
>have capital letters in some of my URL's. When I moved
>up to Dreamweaver, then switched to Linux servers,
>everything crashed. I discovered a wonderful software
>product that changes everything to lower case and can
>also change extensions, but I still have a big mess to
>sort out.

This upper/lower case issue can be fixed by activating yhe "mod_speling.c"
already built in your Apache install. An .htaccess file can be placed
within the root of a domain or any other directory -- or the directive can
be placed in httpd.conf.

Check the mod directive on the Apache site for more info.

It works, but may cause some degradation of performance if a lot of
"corrections" are processed... it's the price to pay I guess.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net