httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Log file
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:04:27 GMT
Message[plain text, please...]

Taco Fleur wrote:
> I have entries in my log file that not in order, i.e.
>
> 16:22
> 16:04
> 16:23
>
> Could it have something to with the fact I have the file open in
UltraEdit?

No. It is generally because Apache logs the request when it has completed,
whilte the time is the time it started processing it. Thus, the time is the
request arrival, and the order is the order of request completion.

> Another weird thing is, UltraEdit makes a backup file of the log I have
> open, and I notice Apache then starts writing to the BAK file,

Not weird at all. What UltraEdit actually do is to *rename* the original
file and creates a copy of it with the original name. Thus, Apache will
*continue* to write to the file which now has a new name. I thought editors
just created backups when you (auto)saved it, but what to do is avoid making
changes in the log while viewing it or disable this backup behaviour of
UltraEdit.

Regards,
Robert Andersson