httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Port Forwarding
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:47:30 GMT
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:02:54 -0500, Cian sweeney wrote:

>  Port forwarding works on my netgear FR314 because I tested it and
>  it is pingable, to the webserver computer.

Why does make you think that port-forwarding works for TCP connections to the port you're
using for you web server?

All it tells me is that packet forwarding works for ICMP.

>  I have apache 1.3 running on winxp. Everyone on my network can see
>  the hosted site fine, but outside the network it is inaccesible.
[...]
>  Is this an apache problem?

Probably not, as your Apache obvioulsy is able to serve the site. It is, however, impossible
for anyone here to be sure without knowing anything at all about your config.

>  Or maybe my ISP blocks incoming connections of this type?

Possibly. It is, however, impossible for anyone here to be sure without knowing anything at
all about your config or what the error messages are. It'd also be good to know what happened
when you tried using a diffrent port.

> All help appreciated.

Then I suggest you start with actually describing the problem and what you found when you
looked through the apache error and access logs when you tried to connect from the outside.

If there was no entries at all in the apache error or access log for those connection attempts,
I suggest you also tell us what you found when you used the routers logging functions to see
if wether the connections attemnpt were stopped in the router or if they never even got there.

If the connection attempts got to your router but not to the server, then the router either
isn't forwarding the connections or it's deliberately blocking them. IIRC FR314 is a Firewall
Router, so it's quite possible you have to both setup the correct port forwarding and open
up the ports in the firewall.

If the connections never even get to the router, check with your ISP.

If the connections got to the web server, act upon the error messages you see in it's error
log.

/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org