httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Microsoft FrontPage extensions
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 02:39:39 GMT
I currently have reseller accounts with two ISP's
using Apache/Linux, and both allow me to install
FrontPage extensions through the Control Panel.

One thing to be aware of, though - and you probably
know more about this than I do - is that URL's aren't
case sensitive on Windows servers, but they are on
Linux.

I designed my websites years ago with FrontPage and
have capital letters in some of my URL's. When I moved
up to Dreamweaver, then switched to Linux servers,
everything crashed. I discovered a wonderful software
product that changes everything to lower case and can
also change extensions, but I still have a big mess to
sort out.

Serves me right for starting out with Microshaft!

P.S. You might want to tell your client that FrontPage
extensions have security issues. That is, I THINK they
do. I'm not that knowledgeable about security, but
someone was hacking my website, and my old (Windows)
ISP told me FrontPage extensions presented all sorts
of security issues.