httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cordula's Web <cpgh...@cordula.ws>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Bandwidth management with Apache 2.0.x
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:03:46 GMT
> > what's the "official" way to do bandwidth management
> > with Apache 2.0.x? For 1.3.x, mod_throttle is okay,
> > but AFAICS it can't be used by 2.0.x.
> >
> > I'd like to limit rapid-firing robots, by progressively
> > slowing the response time down to a configurable lower
> > limit (e.g. a few hits per minute). This slowdown
> > should only apply to the IP address of that robot,
> > and disappear again after the rapid-fire ceases.

> From: "Jason D" <jason@codepanzyz.com>
> This might be of help,

So it's a known and still unsolved problem on Apache 2...
Too bad :-(

As a little followup to that thread, a weird idea would be to pipe the
logfiles into some kind of "real-time" monitoring program that would
detect rapid-fire (or any other configurable pattern) on the fly.
This monitor could then instruct the OS's traffic shaper (if there's
one) to react accordingly. At least, it would not require any Apache2
API expertise, but it would be absolutely unportable...

Thanks for the help,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/