httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "Forbidden" Error on UserDirs
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:26:50 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 05:07:33PM -0600, The Fueley wrote:
> I'm having sorta the same prob that z-lite is having with displaying a
> page. I installed apache2.0.48 under gentoo. I kept the default
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs as the document root. Thats fine for me. What
> i want to do is enable the personal user web pages. eg.
> http://webserver/~thefueley/index.html
> i have this in my apache2.conf.
>
> LoadModule userdir_module                modules/mod_userdir.so
>
> I also have this in my commonapache2.conf
>
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>     UserDir public_html
>     UserDir enabled thefueley
> </IfModule>

This should be an absolute path:
> <Directory public_html>
> Allow from all
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> Options +Indexes
> </Directory>
- if you're wanting this to apply to all /home/*/public_html directories,
you probably want something like this:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
	Allow from all
	AllowOverride AuthConfig
	Options +Indexes
</Directory>

Although given your UserDir directive instructing apache to only allow
the user thefueley to have a UserDir account, you perhaps only want it
to apply to thefueley's public_html:

<Directory /home/thefueley/public_html>
	Allow from all
	AllowOverride AuthConfig
	Options +Indexes
</Directory>

You may still have problems with this still though if the perms on
/home/thefueley/public_html aren't sufficient to allow the apache user
read access to files under that directory - ensure the apache user does
have these perms.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer