httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] large number of vhosts
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:31:15 GMT
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:10:45PM +0100, Tobias Glasow wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> yes, this is what i now see in the error log. but what can i do, do have
> individual logfiles?
You could pipe your log entries to a script which then logs the entry to
a file depending on the name of the vhost.  This way you only need one
single process to handle all the logging.

There's a description of the method on my blog together with a sample
perl logging script:

http://jez.hancock-family.com/index.php?/archives/28_Apache_Custom_VirtualHost_Virtual_Domain_Logging_Using_Perl_and_FIFOs.html

There are also a few other entries about apache logging, especially
using FIFOs which would be more advisable if you have a large number of
vhosts.

Unfortunately this method can't be used for error logs afaik - if anyone
knows of a method to log error logs in a similar manner I'd be happy to
hear about it - at the moment I'm using cronolog which eats up 2 fds for
each vhost.

Cheers.

--
Jez Hancock