httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Getting Started With Virtual Hosts
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:38:33 GMT
--- Ben Yau <byau@cardcommerce.com> wrote:

> I'm just curious, but why do you need to set up
> virtual hosting at all.  I
> was reading some of the other thread messages and
> your responses.  It
> doesn't seem like you need it.  You just need to set
> up apache and then
> access it like
> http://localhost/geobop
> http://localhost/geoworld
> http://localhost/[someothersite]
>
> In these examples, locahost is your one and only
> servername.  YOu set the
> DocumentRoot to be c:/sites.

Aha! I looked in the Apache/conf/httpd file and found
this:

DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs"

So I could fix everything if I just changed it to
C:/sites ? I could then view my hosts with URLs like
http://localhost/geobop/index.php and
http://locahost/geoworld/index.php, right?

You could also just change your document root to
c:/sites instead of
the
htdocs directory
Do you use the htdocs directory for anything else?

There is one catch. I'm using a really nice
preconfigured package that includes Apache, PHP, MySQL
and several other programs. After you install it, you
can access the index page, which is linked to a series
of pages that more or less confirm that everything's
working.

I may be able to part with it eventually, but right
now it's a very convenient crutch, as I'm just
beginning to learn about this stuff. So it looks like
I have the following choices:

1) Leave DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs" as it is and
set up aliases for my websites in C:/sites.

2) Change it to DocumentRoot "C:/sites" and set up
aliases for the webpages in C:/xampp/htdocs/

3) Change the document root to C:/sites, then figure
out a way to move all the webpages from
C:/xampp/htdocs/ into C:/sites

A couple other quick questions:

1. If I change my conf/httpd file, is it true that I
have to reboot my computer before the changes will
take effect? I think I read that in the documentation,
but I don't want to waste time rebooting my computer
every time I make a change if it isn't really
necessary.

2. Do you know if I can access a copy of the conf file
online? I think I might have messed mine up, as
something isn't working. I looked at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ but didn't see it
mentioned.

Thanks!