httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Getting Started With Virtual Hosts
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:05:24 GMT
I'm just starting to learn about virtual hosting and
would like to ask a few questions. It looks like it
might be pretty simple, but I'd like to make sure I'm
pointed in the right direction.

I'm using Dreamweaver on a Windows XP Pro platform,
and here are some relevant paths:

C:/xampp/apache/
C:/xampp/apache/conf/
C:/xampp/htdocs/
C:/sites/

For example, here are where two of my websites reside:

C:/sites/geobop/
C:/sites/geoworld/

Please note that I am NOT planning on hosting online
websites; I merely test my websites on my computer
before I publish them online to my ISP.

I glanced at a couple online tutorials and
Apache.org's instructions at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html

It appears to me that I want to set up a NAME-BASED
system.

Apache.org's server configuration instructions have
apparently already been set up in the httpd.conf file:

#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin webmaster@dummy-host.example.com
#    DocumentRoot /www/docs/dummy-host.example.com
#    ServerName dummy-host.example.com
#    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log
common
#</VirtualHost>

Below is my first guess towards applying this to two
of my websites, C:/sites/geobop/ and
C:/sites/geoworld/

#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin [My e-mail address]
#    DocumentRoot C:/sites/geobop
#    ServerName geobop
#    ErrorLog logs/C:/sites/geobop-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/C:/sites/geobop-access_log common
#</VirtualHost>

#<VirtualHost *>
#    ServerAdmin [My e-mail address]
#    DocumentRoot C:/sites/geoworld
#    ServerName geoworld
#    ErrorLog logs/C:/sites/geoworld-error_log
#    CustomLog logs/C:/sites/geoworld-access_log
common
#</VirtualHost>

Am I on the right track? And am I also correct in
guessing that I don't need error logs or custom logs,
as long I'm only hosting websites on my own computer?

Thanks.