httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Switching from Apache 2 to Apache 1.3.29
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:49:07 GMT

--- Robert Andersson <robert@profundis.nu> wrote:
> David Blomstrom wrote:
> > In the meantime, several people (including my ISP)
> have
> > advised me to ditch Apache 2.0 in favor of 1.3.29.

"What was their argument for that?"

My understanding was that Apache 2.0 is still a bit
untested, and some people told me I should be leery of
using the latest Apache, PHP and MySQL, because some
webhosts might not be running the latest.

That didn't sound like a serious issue to me; I
figured it would be easy to just publish a couple
pages online and see if they work. At any rate, that's
exacty what I did, and they seem to work just fine
(though I haven't tried any really elaborate
experiments yet).

> > I've been adivsed to move my Dreamweaver websites
> into
> > the folder \Apache\htdocs\ (That folder doesn't
> exist
> > under Apache 2.0, but it does with Apache 1.3.29.)
>
> What? First, I don't see the reason in using
> Apache's htdocs directory,
> especially if you have websiteS; set up virtual
> hosts and put them somewhere
> independent of Apache. Besides, you should have an
> Apache2\htdocs directory.
> Exactly where it is located depends on where you
> choosed to install it.

My mistake; I discovered that XAMPP installed htdocs
outside the main Apache folder. Thanks for the tip on
virtual directories; I was thinking I'd like to be
able to keep my websites outside the Apache folder, so
I'll do some research on that.

> Unless you are running Apache on Windows 9x/ME
> (which is evil), you should
> run it as a service. Go read the Apache docs on
> installing/running Apache
> under Windows (NT/2k/XP). Then again, I am not very
> keen on these
> "preconfigured packages", so I wouldn't know.

I'm in no position to rate these packages, because I'm
so new to all of this. But, at the moment, I'm
extremely impressed with XAMPP. If it self-destructed
somehow, I could pull out my copy of XAMPP and
reinstall Apache, PHP and MySQL in about five minutes,
with no need to configure anything. But I may have
second thoughts after I really start working with this
stuff.

> > I don't understand that last sentence. To close
> down
> > Apache 2.0, I have to "close the Apache Command
> > (CMD)"? How do I do that?
>
> I guess that after running those batch files, a
> "command window" will be
> hanging around somewhere. Close it as you usually
> close a window, or give it
> focus and hit Ctrl-C, and enter "exit".

Ha! That's the big joke on me. I read so many detailed
instructions about various ways to shut the Apache
console down, I wasn't sure that XAMPP's instructions
(translated from German) were meant to be taken
literally. When I tried it, my system was screwed up
(or so I thought).

But two other people told me to just click the X, so I
tried it again. Voila!

I rebooted my computer to make sure it's really
working. Apache is now apparently running as a
service; I see Apache.exe in under the Window Task
Manager's processes, and I get a page on my computer
when I type http://localhost/ into a browser.

Thanks again for all your help.