httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Changing Apache 2.0 from a Console to a Service - Getting Closer!
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:09:07 GMT

(I apologize if this is a double post; I'm having trouble with my e-mail, too.)

I'm still wrestling with Apache 2.0, but I think I'm getting closer. Does anyone know what
I should do next?

>From the top: I installed a preconfigured package from XAMPP (Apache 2.0, PHP and MySQL)
on a Windows XP Pro platform.

I had to double click two files to start Apache and MySQL, with small black screens opening
for each. I'm supposed to double click another file to shut down MySQL, but the instructions
for shutting down Apache are vague - something like "do it with the console."

I've been playing with various commands (Windows Command Prompt) and chaning to various directories,
and I think I'm zeroing in. I can't see an apache.exe file in Windows Explorer, so I started
typing...

apache -n apache -k install

after various paths. The message I normally got was replaced with a new message after I tried
the following combination:

C:\xampp\apache\bin>apache -n apache -k install

Here's the message I get:

<OS 10048>Only one usage of each socket address <protocol/network/address/port>
is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0.443 no listening sockets
available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

Then it returned to C:\xampp\apache\bin>

I'm guessing maybe this means I have to close the Apache console before I can change it to
a service, but I want to double check before I screw it up again.

If that's the case, could someone tell me one more time exactly what I should type to shut
it down?

Using the Apache.org guide at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/stopping.html I typed C:\xampp\apache\bin>apachectl
-k stop
but nothing happened; the Apache console still says "Apache 2 is startig ..."

But I'm getting closer, right?

Thanks.