httpd-users mailing list archives

From b..@beeb.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help needed : unable to start httpd
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:44:09 GMT
On Wednesday 14 Jan 2004 4:30 pm, Boyle Owen wrote:
> .... original query snipped
>
> I wrote this up as a FAQ a while ago - OTTOMH, it sounds like it might
> fit (I'm a bit worried by your 0.0.0.0 IP address and I'm not sure if
> you've upgraded Linux)...

sorry - I perhaps did not make it clear - I have shut down and de-installed
the distributed version. There are no httpd processes running, and lookina
at the output from 'netstat -a' there doesn't appear to be any other processes
using the port. I have been running Unix/Linux for many years and know enough
about the generalities of networking.

> If you are using a recent version of Linux (ie post-2000), it will
> almost certainly come with a vendor-supplied version of apache. This may
> have been installed by default when you installed Linux. It might also
> be configured to start automatically when Linux boots.
>
> To check if you already have a vendor-apache running, simply open a
> browser on the server and go to http://localhost/. If you see the
> default apache welcome page, then you already have apache running.
> Alternatively, you can do "ps -ef | grep httpd" to see if there are any
> httpd daemons running.
>
> If you are happy to use the vendor-apache, all you need to do is find
> the config file (which is called "httpd.conf"). Its location varies
> depending on your version of Linux but if you look in the distribution
> you tried to install, you will find a file called "config.layout" which
> contains a description of the apache layouts for many common systems.
> For example, for RedHat it is in /etc/httpd/conf, for SuSE: /etc/httpd,
> for OpenBSD: /var/www/conf, FreeBSD: /usr/local/etc/apache, etc. Once
> you find it, edit it to suit your requirements and restart apache using
> the run control script in /etc/rc.local.

The whole point was that the vendor-supplied version of PHP is missing
the functionality I need, and the current version won't install with the
verndor supplied apache.

> If you would still like to install apache yourself, you have a couple of
>
> - Upgrade the vendor-apache: configure apache using the "--with-layout"
> switch, eg:
>
> 	./configure --with-layout=config.layout:SuSE
>
> This should set the installation paths to match the vendor layout and
> your new version will overwrite the vendor-apache.
>
> - Install in the default location /usr/local/apache.
>
> You probably already did this - which is why you arrived at this FAQ! So
> all you need to do now is to disable the vendor apache to get it off
> port 80 so that your version can take over. First you have to find the
> control script which is starting apache at boot - start in /etc/rc.local
> and look for something like S50apache or S50httpd. Probably this is a
> symbolic link to the vendor's apachectl script. As an example, suppose
> you find that:
>
> /etc/rc.local/rc.1/S50apache --> /usr/sbin/apachectl (vendor-apache)
>
> Remove this symlink and replace it with:
>
> /etc/rc.local/rc.1/S50apache --> /usr/local/bin/apachectl (your apache)
>
> Now when you reboot, your apache will start instead of the
> vendor-apache.

de-installing the vendor supplied version removed all that.
The apachectl being invoked is that for the newly-installed version.

> Alternatively, you can stop and start the apaches using the apachectl
> scripts directly, eg:
>
> # /usr/sbin/apachectl stop
> # /usr/local/bin/apachectl start

that's what I'm doing.
> --- ENDS ---
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle

Thanks for the advice, but I've already been through all that!
Any more ideas?

Bill