httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Switching from Apache 2 to Apache 1.3.29
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 05:15:09 GMT
I installed Apache 1.3.29 by itself, then installed a
preconfigured package with Apache 2.0, PHP and MySQL.
I'm now trying to get everything working. In the
meantime, several people (including my ISP) have
advised me to ditch Apache 2.0 in favor of 1.3.29.

So I wanted to ask a few general questions about my
scheme, to see if I'm on the right track. I THINK I
can have two Apache programs on my computer, as long
as they aren't running at the same time, right? If so,
then can I close Apache 2.0, restart Apache 1.3.29,
then try to get Dreamweaver working with Apache
1.3.29?

And if that works, then I can try to reconfigure PHP
and MySQL for Apache 1.3.29 and Dreamweaver, right?

It's a little confusing, because I'm working with four
programs, and I'm not really sure which can run
independently of each other, which have to be modified
(or in what sequence) to make the others work, etc.

I've been adivsed to move my Dreamweaver websites into
the folder \Apache\htdocs\ (That folder doesn't exist
under Apache 2.0, but it does with Apache 1.3.29.)

If I'm going to have my websites there, then I want to
move Apache 1.3.29 from C Drive > Program Files >
Apache to C Drive > Apache. So I uninstalled Apache
1.3, and I'm going to reinstall it in C > Apache.

Then, if I can't configure Apache 1.3.29, I can turn
Apache 2.0 back on. Does this sound like a sensible
strategy?

One more question. The instructions from the
preconfigured package include the following:

"Step 3: If installation ends successfully, start the
Apache 2 with "apache_start".bat", MySQL with
"mysql_start".bat". Stop the MySQL Server with
"mysql_stop.bat". For shutdown the Apache HTTPD, only
close the Apache Command (CMD)."

I don't understand that last sentence. To close down
Apache 2.0, I have to "close the Apache Command
(CMD)"? How do I do that?