httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] bandwidth control - Part 2
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:03:15 GMT
Hi Jason,

Just a tip - don't reply to someone else's post when you're starting a
new thread - this could well be why you didn't get any response to your
original posts!

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:43:32AM -0800, Jason D wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>     I posted a question about a week ago asking if anyone knows about
> throttling bandwidth per month per VHOST to no avail. I see stats saying
> that apache is running 60% of the web servers out there. But I can not find
> any information on the ability to limit the amount of bandwidth used per
> site per month. Seeing as how 99% of web hosting companies charge this way
> and 60% of the web is run on apache, does this mean that none of the apache
> sites are limiting bandwidth usage in this manor? That is somewhat of a
> rhetorical question / rant due to frustration of not being able to educate
> myself on how to limit bandwidth with apache 2.x. But really what is being
> used to enforce the limits put into place at the point of sale with
> commercial web hosting sites running apache? I know that out of that 60%

> Does anyone on this list use apache to host sites with bandwidth
> limitations?

Have you tried mod_accounting for a start?  The mod_accounting module
allows you to log the bandwidth consumed on a per vhost basis to a
database.  You can then query that database on a regular basis via a
custom script and apply caps to users who are consuming too much
bandwidth.

mod_accounting is at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mod-acct/

There are also other modules such as mod_bwshare and mod_throttle that
do the job of controlling bandwidth - although these modules only limit
bandwidth on a short term basis and aren't really suited to keeping
track of bandwidth consumption over a monthly period.

Googling will find you the sites for mod_bwshare and mod_throttle.

HTH.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer