httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginning Help
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:17:28 GMT
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:03:31AM -0800, Jan Sorenson wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, my domain name is sorensonlink.com  my ip is
> 198.189.126.247
There appears to be a problem resolving domain names for
sorensonlink.com at the moment due to conflicting nameserver records for
the domain - did you modify any DNS records for the
domain at all at your registrar's site?

For some reason you have 'svr1.sorensonlink.com' designated as a
nameserver for your domain (which resolves to 198.189.126.247) - is this
correct - do you intend to host your own DNS?  If not you need to remove
that record from register.com's nameservers - at best it will slow down
name resolution and at worst it will make your domain names unresolvable.

> Now regarding the ServerName setting, since register.com
> has my Domain name in the DNS and in theory have my ip address registered
> with that name, any requests for that domain name should go the my IP
> address.  Now on the web server config side, the ServerName is what name?,
> can I create any name here or does it have to be something else?  When I
> installed Apache for the first time, it inserted my laptop name
> "ServerName jsorensolaptop.bcoe.butte.k12.ca.us:80"
> Is this right?
The ServerName should be set to the domain name that you want to serve
files for.  Importantly though:
You must have a valid dns entry set up for the domain name you choose.

Ok, some more info, hopefully it won't confuse things too much :P.

For each subdomain under sorensonlink.com you want to point to an
IP address/serve files for, you need to create an A record on your dns
server.  An A record indicates what IP address is associated with a
fully qualified domain name (FQDN).

As an example if you want to serve files for the domain:

www.sorensonlink.com

you would need to create an A record on your dns server for
www.sorensonlink.com pointing to the IP address of the webserver -
198.189.126.247.

Now, when a user requests 'www.sorensonlink.com' in a web browser, the
machine the user is using will make a query to a dns server asking for
the ip address of 'www.sorensonlink.com'.  That dns server then returns
the ip address 198.189.126.247.  (Bit more complicated than that but
essentially that's how it works :P)

The browser then asks the webserver at 198.189.126.247
for pages for the server with the hostname 'www.sorensonlink.com' and if
the webserver is configured correctly it will return the pages to the
web browser.

In this example the webserver would need an entry in it's httpd.conf file
like:

ServerName www.sorensonlink.com

So what you need to do now is create an A record for
'www.sorensonlink.com' and then point it to your IP address and then
add 'ServerName www.sorensonlink.com' to your httpd.conf file.

Hope that wasn't too complicated. <g>