httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jez Hancock <jez.hanc...@munk.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Beginning Help
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:48:43 GMT
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:40:46AM -0800, Jan Sorenson wrote:
> I apologize for my basic green nature, but I have a few questions.
>
> Here is some background:
> 1. I have set up the apache server on my personal laptop as a testing
> platform for my web site and am connected to the web.
> 2. I have registered a domain name with register.com, the Domain Name Server
> is called dns11.register.com at register.com  I have changed the IP address
> at register.com to point to my IP address on my laptop.
>
> Now here is the question.
>
> In my apache configuration file on my laptop, do I use the register.com DNS
> server name as the server name in the config file?  Or do I use my laptop
> name?
>
> I am making the assumption that register.com will use its DNS server to hold
> my site name and use the IP address that I entered at register.com, which is
> the IP on my laptop as the address to point to when request are made.
>
> In my config file, I have set LISTEN to my IP address on my laptop using
> port 80, I have set ServerName to dsn.register.com
>
> Is this correct thinking?
Sounds about right :P

You generally do the following:

- register a domain name
- create a DNS entry to point your domain name to the IP address of the
  server that will serve your files
- configure your web server to serve the files

By the sound of it you have all but the last done (although it may help
if you let us know your domain name so we can check that the name
resolves to your ip address:P).  You want to set your ServerName in
httpd.conf to the domain name that you want to serve files for via HTTP,
making sure your DocumentRoot in httpd.conf is set to the location that
you want files to be served from by apache.

Generally the sample httpd.conf file is complete apart from the two
items mentioned above.  There are a lot of options you can tweak
obviously, but those two are the most important.  You might want to grab
a fresh copy of the original httpd.conf sample file if you've modified
yours a lot already.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer