httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Versions...
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:20:41 GMT
Ola Ogunneye wrote:
> Can someone please tell me why if version 2.0.48 is the latest stable
> version of Apache, is 1.3.29 available?

Apache 1.3 and 2.0 are different branches and live their own lifes, and are
not API compatible. Apache 1.3 is more stable (because no new features are
added to it) and has more modules available for it, why it is prefered by
some.

> Is 1.3.29 recommended for certain people or why are they both in
> existence.

I would only recommend Apache 1.3 for people that needs modules not yet
available for 2.0. Some would also argue that PHP doesn't play too well with
Apache 2.0, but I am yet to see that for myself.

Migrating to 1.3 -> 2.0 is not painless, and in some cases not possible.
Since so many still use Apache 1.3 it is still maintained.

Regards,
Robert Andersson