httpd-users mailing list archives

From Václav Krpec <vas...@alsoft.cz>
Subject Re[2]: [users@httpd] Adding svn dbses without apache restart
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:58:20 GMT

JS> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, [Windows-1250] Václav Krpec wrote:
>> I'd be glad if I must not restart
>> the server each time I add/remove a db (they are beeing
>> added by inserting a <Location> directive into httpd.conf).

JS> What's the problem with restarting the server?  If you use a graceful
JS> restart, there is essentially no effect on clients.

I know, but our company plan to offer hosting service with use of
svn database for each user; with hundreds (thousands?) of users =>
hundreds of <Location> directives in the config-file, how long will
the restart take? That's one thing, the another is that I really don't
think that it's impossible to map new dirs in run-time (AliasMatch
directive does it, don't it?).

>> Why can't I place the <Location> directive into a .htaccess
>> file?

JS> Because <Location> works on URLs and .htaccess works on filesystem
JS> locations and there is not necessarily a direct mapping between them.

I see. But why it's impossible?

JS> It is possible that you could put the Dav and SVNPath directives directly
JS> in an .htaccess file without the <Location>.  I'm not an SVN expert, so I
JS> can't say for sure.

No, I've tried. Thanks anyway.

JS> Joshua.

Bye,