httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Switching from Apache 2 to Apache 1.3.29
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:09:37 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> PHP being an almighty hack, there are issues with thread-safety that
> mean it's standard advice to use the Prefork MPM with it.  Not sure
> how that translates to windows, where preforking is inherently
> inefficient.

I believe that it is only an issue if you use certain libraries that are yet
not "certified" thread-safe. I've been running Apache2 + PHP on both Windows
and *nix (in production) without any major issue; none related to
thread-safety at least.

> With Apache 2 you can use MySQL far more efficiently than before:
> see mod_mysql_pool at http://apache.webthing.com/ or the corresponding
> DBI module at (IIRC) mod-authn.sourceforge.net.

I am not too sure how that module works, but I don't know if it is much more
efficient than using PHP's persistent MySQL connections.

Regards,
Robert Andersson