httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Switching from Apache 2 to Apache 1.3.29
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:44:23 GMT
David Blomstrom wrote:
> In the meantime, several people (including my ISP) have
> advised me to ditch Apache 2.0 in favor of 1.3.29.

What was their argument for that? There is no reason to choose 1.3 over 2.0,
especially if you intend to run under Windows, unless there are specific
modules you need that are yet not available for the latter.

> So I wanted to ask a few general questions about my
> scheme, to see if I'm on the right track. I THINK I
> can have two Apache programs on my computer, as long
> as they aren't running at the same time, right?

Of course, and you can run them at the same time too, if you make sure they
do not bind to same IP/port combination(s).

> If so, then can I close Apache 2.0, restart Apache 1.3.29,
> then try to get Dreamweaver working with Apache 1.3.29?

Ugh, probably, yes. I don't know what "get Dreamweaver working with Apache"
implicates, but I doubt that Dreamweaver knows any difference between Apache
1.3 and 2.0.

> It's a little confusing, because I'm working with four programs, and
> I'm not really sure which can run independently of each other, which
> have to be modified (or in what sequence) to make the others work, etc.

Then don't try to do everything at once. Get Apache working properly, then
add PHP and make sure it works.

MySQL is very much independent in this process, and you only need it when
you have created PHP documents attempting to connect to it. Dreamweaver, I
imagine, will only be interested in what URL to use when previewing, but I
could be mistaking.

> I've been adivsed to move my Dreamweaver websites into
> the folder \Apache\htdocs\ (That folder doesn't exist
> under Apache 2.0, but it does with Apache 1.3.29.)

What? First, I don't see the reason in using Apache's htdocs directory,
especially if you have websiteS; set up virtual hosts and put them somewhere
independent of Apache. Besides, you should have an Apache2\htdocs directory.
Exactly where it is located depends on where you choosed to install it.

> One more question. The instructions from the
> preconfigured package include the following:
>
> "Step 3: If installation ends successfully, start the
> Apache 2 with "apache_start".bat", MySQL with
> "mysql_start".bat". Stop the MySQL Server with
> "mysql_stop.bat". For shutdown the Apache HTTPD, only
> close the Apache Command (CMD)."

Unless you are running Apache on Windows 9x/ME (which is evil), you should
run it as a service. Go read the Apache docs on installing/running Apache
under Windows (NT/2k/XP). Then again, I am not very keen on these
"preconfigured packages", so I wouldn't know.

> I don't understand that last sentence. To close down
> Apache 2.0, I have to "close the Apache Command
> (CMD)"? How do I do that?

I guess that after running those batch files, a "command window" will be
hanging around somewhere. Close it as you usually close a window, or give it
focus and hit Ctrl-C, and enter "exit".

Regards,
Robert Andersson