httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew Shannon <m...@paycom.net>
Subject [users@httpd] allow override directive
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:38:25 GMT
Hi all,
   I have a directory with nearly 2000 user specific directories. Each
of these has it's own .htaccess file with a require user specification.
I am also restricting these logins by IP address. In the global conf, I
have the following;

<Directory "/home/apache/www.mydomain.com/dirs/?*">
   Options +Indexes +MultiViews FollowSymLinks
   AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit
   Order deny,allow
   deny from all
   Satisfy all
</Directory>

The "require user" in the .htaccess files works fine, however, when I
place an "allow from 10.10.10.1" in the .htaccess file, it opens the
directory up to all IPs instead of just the one. This is only countered
if another "deny from all" is placed in the .htaccess file. I was under
the impression that unless the deny configuration was overwritten, the
global "deny from all" would stick.

My question is this: Is it the case that if one configuration from a
group ( allow, deny, etc. under the Limit group ) is changed, the others

Thank you for your help,
-matt