httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2, CGI.pm, IE and smart quotes
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:13:44 GMT
Carl Brewer wrote:
> Robert Andersson wrote:
> > Carl Brewer wrote:
> >>Is it actually IE that's doing the breaking?  We've found the
> >>broken encoding, but are confused, because as far as we've been able
> >>to test, it does work fine in apache 1.3.
> >
> > A question though. Does this only affect forms who use
multipart/form-data
> > encoding? These were the only forms I had problems with.
>
> yes.  It works ok with a normal form, I'm only able to
> see the fault when I use multipart/form-data encoding.

It has been awhile...

> Here's my test page :
>
> ...snip...
>
> And if I feed it smartquotes stuff from winword via IE 5.5, it does
> exactly as you describe for apache 2, but is ok for apache 1.3.

I have not tested in 1.3, but if I find time I might try to investigate if
it does indeed manage to recover from the corruption.

That is not very hard, use Ethereal: http://www.ethereal.com/

> but is this something that should/could go into an apache 2
> bug report?

As it is not a bug with Apache, you should not file it as a 'bug' bug
report. But, if it can be determined that Apache 1.3 is proof that this
corruption can be corrected, it might be worth considering filing an
'enhancement' bug report. We'll need to investigate more first.

Regards,
Robert Andersson