httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jan Sorenson <jsore...@bcoe.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Beginning Help
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:40:46 GMT
I apologize for my basic green nature, but I have a few questions.

Here is some background:
1. I have set up the apache server on my personal laptop as a testing
platform for my web site and am connected to the web.
2. I have registered a domain name with register.com, the Domain Name Server
is called dns11.register.com at register.com  I have changed the IP address
at register.com to point to my IP address on my laptop.

Now here is the question.

In my apache configuration file on my laptop, do I use the register.com DNS
server name as the server name in the config file?  Or do I use my laptop
name?

I am making the assumption that register.com will use its DNS server to hold
my site name and use the IP address that I entered at register.com, which is
the IP on my laptop as the address to point to when request are made.

In my config file, I have set LISTEN to my IP address on my laptop using
port 80, I have set ServerName to dsn.register.com

Is this correct thinking?