httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Randy Grafton" <rgraf...@indatacorp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Facilitating File Downloads...
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:49:05 GMT
We actually do have ftp access to these files. The http effort was to reach
those customers behind firewalls with ftp blocked. I guess I should also
give a little more info of the setup here; The website is on win2k with IIS,
it is an ASP generated page with links to files stored on our FreeBSD/Apache
server.
The links are performed with: Response.Redirect
"http://apache.server/dir/file.exe"

I'm not familiar with ASP, should we be doing the <a
href='http://apache.server/dir/file.exe'>Get File</a> instead?

The file is usually good for several weeks and then we'll get a call from a
customer complaining that their install didn't work after repeated
downloads. We'll go grab the file off of the server through ssh/sftp and
sure enough the file is bad. At this point we'll make a new copy on the
server and wait for the next customer to call.

150MB isn't that big, relatively speaking, I saw some posts of similar
problems(more speed related) and the admins downgraded to the current 1.3.x
release. I've not tried that yet. I assume there are major differences in
file handling between the two? I also don't want to overlook the httpd.conf
file. It is pretty plain vanilla, (no optimizations that I know of for this
specific use). This server is dedicated to ftp and http downloads of files
only.

Thank You,
-Randy