httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Iain Cunningham" <iain.cunning...@architecta.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Changing Apache 2.0 from a Console to a Service - Getting Closer!
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:29:15 GMT
-----Original Message-----

Does anyone know what I should do next?
> From the top: I installed a preconfigured package from XAMPP (Apache
2.0, PHP and MySQL) on a Windows XP Pro platform.
> I had to double click two files to start Apache and MySQL, with small
black screens opening for each. I'm supposed to double click another
file to shut down MySQL, but the instructions for shutting down Apache
are vague - something like "do it with the console."
> I've been playing with various commands (Windows Command Prompt) and
chaning to various directories, and I think I'm zeroing in. I can't see
an apache.exe file in Windows Explorer, so I started typing...
> apache -n apache -k install
> after various paths. The message I normally got was replaced with a
new message after I tried the following combination:
> C:\xampp\apache\bin>apache -n apache -k install
> Here's the message I get:
> <OS 10048>Only one usage of each socket address
<protocol/network/address/port> is normally permitted. : make_sock:
could not bind to address 0.0.0.0.443 no listening sockets available,
shutting down
> Unable to open logs
> Then it returned to C:\xampp\apache\bin>
> I'm guessing maybe this means I have to close the Apache console
before I can change it to a service, but I want to double check before I
screw it up again.
> If that's the case, could someone tell me one more time exactly what I
should type to shut it down?
> Using the Apache.org guide at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/stopping.html I typed
C:\xampp\apache\bin>apachectl -k stop
> but nothing happened; the Apache console still says "Apache 2 is
startig ..."
> But I'm getting closer, right?
> Thanks.

You could try

apache -k stop

or

apache -k shutdown

(You had the right options but were using the name of the *nix binary)

Either should do the trick for you.  You might also find it useful to
read the following:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html

One final thing, it's best not to use html formatted messages when
submitting to a mailing list!

Best regards,

Iain Cunningham, BEng(Hons) AMIMechE
Principal Engineer