httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ola Ogunneye" <OOgun...@adventisthealthcare.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cannot browse from the internet...
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:01:19 GMT
Sorry for the omissions, however, I am not at home right now, and the PC
in question is at home.

But I will try to check out your suggestions when I get back home later
today.

Other than that, when I initially configured my three friends (Router,
Win2k and XP), I could not share anything between the WIn2k and the XP.
MS Knowlegebase helped in the newsgroup section to work me through
removing the ISP DNS entries in my PCs and after following their
directions, everything worked perfectly. You can checkout page 25 of the
link below, look for post by Ola

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?NewsGroup=microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server&SLCID=US&ICP=GSS3&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups

Maybe I screwed up something, but my two PCs can see each other
perfectly well now.

But there must still be a problem of sort.

Thanks in advance
>>> jonas_lists@frukt.org 12/22/03 08:29AM >>>
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:13:15 -0500, Ola Ogunneye wrote:

>  I do not get an error message just that "Page cannot be displayed.

That is an error message. :-)

But, more important: If you turn off Microsoft's (un)friendely error
messages, what error message fo you get then when you try to see the
page? If you do not turn off the (un)friendly error messages in IE,
Microsft is helpfully hiding the actual error from you in order to make
something easier (exactly what they think will be easier is unclear).

BTW. It's easier to help if you actually try to answer all out questions
instead of choosing only a few of them.

>  "The XP's DNS is pointing *what* to the server address?

>  And: Does the above mean that you are running a DNS server in the
>  XP box?"

>  win2k and not from the router. So in effect, the XP looks to the
>  win2k for everything.. Somehow, my 2 PCs can see each other
>  perfectly well. All the pictures that I am uploading to my win2k
>  are actually residing on the XP.

Are you using the Windows network for this? If yes, this hasn't got
anything to do with DNS as the Widnows network uses NMB name lookups,
not DNS lookups.

And what do you mean when you say "uploading to my win2k" above?
Uploading through Windows network, an FTP server, something else? And
from where are you uploading them? Are you uploading them from the WinXP
box to the Win2K box so that they end up on the WInXP box? And how is it
connected to DNS and/or Apache?

Regards
/Jonas

--