httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ola Ogunneye" <OOgun...@adventisthealthcare.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.47 and PHP 4.3.2
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:14:40 GMT
Thanks a million,

I now definitely know that I do not need the CGI in my installation. The
links below however took me to addhandler on the cgi aspect of things.
Is there a Addhandler directive that I must put in my configuration file
if I load PHP as a module? By the way, I am running Apache and Mysql and
PHP on windows 2000.

Thanks in advance.

>>> jonas_lists@frukt.org 12/15/03 06:15PM >>>
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:52:52 -0500, Ola Ogunneye wrote:

>  Can one run PHP as a
>  CGI and as a Module at the same time?

Yes, but why?

>  I am still a total newbie, and does not understand the
>  implications,

The implications of module versus CGI or of doing both at the same time?

The main reason for running PHP as a module is usually speed and
resources. PHP as a CGI will require more computer resources than
mod_php.

The main reason for running as a CGI is often security (running PHP as a
CGI you can run if through suexec, cgiwrap or sbox for example). When
running as a module, all PHP code will (at least in Apache2) run as the
apache user and group.

Doing both you could, well, get the benefits and drawbacks from both.
:-) I guess there could be scenariaous were you might want to have the
module as handler som some directories/hosts and the CGI for others.

> however, I need to know if I must run one or the
>  other, or if I can add all the parameters to my httpd.conf file.

Normally you do choose to run PHP either as a CGI or as a module, but it
should be possible to do both if you want to. You need to add handlers
for both. Apart from possible pointlessness you should just have to make
sure your handler directives don't clash.

More info about handlers+actions
Apache 1:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html#addhandler
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_actions.html#action