httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ola Ogunneye" <OOgun...@adventisthealthcare.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Is this entry valid for Virtual Host
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:33:02 GMT
Sorry if it is not coming as plain text, but a snippet of my httpd.conf is below. With the
httpd.conf not configured for virtualhost, I was able to go to the pages that I wanted by
typing out the url for that page, and line #25 below does not have a closing </Directory>
to it. Am I doing something wrong?

Please help

DocumentRoot "D:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs"

#
# Each directory to which Apache has access can be configured with respect
# to which services and features are allowed and/or disabled in that
# directory (and its subdirectories).
#
# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# features.
#
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#
# Note that from this point forward you must specifically allow
# particular features to be enabled - so if something's not working as
# you might expect, make sure that you have specifically enabled it
# below.
#

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory "D:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs">

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options
# for more information.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

>>> Owen.Boyle@swx.com 12/08/03 09:40AM >>>
Plain text please...

The line "<Directory D:/apache/apache2/htdocs>" is the start of a directory container.
It must be followed by a </Directory> to close it. So you must have had something after
that line at the beginning.

If you just added:

Allow from all
</Directory>

Then that would break the config because it would leave a trailing, orphaned </Directory>
down below.

Put the directory block before your VHs because it refers to their doc-roots. So it makes
more sense to put it first. It should also be outside a VH container, in any case.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS - please don't mail me directly. All mails via the list please.