httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] IP Aliasing & Virtual Hosting issue w/ Apache 2.0.48
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:32:49 GMT

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, David wrote:

>     Listen 192.168.223.40:80
>     Listen 192.168.223.41:8080
>
> <Virtualhost 192.168.223.40:80>
>     servername        www.domain1.com
>     serveralias        domain1.com, *.domain1.com
> </Virtualhost>
>
> <Virtualhost 192.168.223.41:8080>
>     servername        www.domain2.com
>     serveralias        domain2.com, *.domain2.com
> </Virtualhost>

This is basically correct, except that the ServerAlias lines don't do
anything.  They are only relevant in the case of name-based virtual hosts.

> I intended have nothing listed for the Documentroot, since is only the
> configuration phase, and it defaults the Apache documentation page.

You should put a DocumentRoot in both vhosts, even if it is the same as
the main server DocumentRoot.

> I get successfully retrievet the default Apache page for DOMAIN1.  VIA its
> local address, as well as outside the LAN.  But thus far haven't had any
> success "seeing" my DOMAIN2 internally or otherwise.
>
> Does IP Aliasing require that another "network" address be used?  (ie.
> 192.168.223.40 & 192.168.224.40)

No.

> I suspect my issue lies within the IP
> Aliasing.
> I can successful ping the IP Alias address 192.168.223.41 locally. And
> netstat reveals that both addresses/port are up & listening.

>From the server, try
telnet 192.168.223.41 8080
GET / HTTP/1.0
[enter][enter]

If that gives you the page, then apache is working fine.  Try the same
thing again from another machine on the LAN to see if it is a networking
issue.

Joshua.