httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] handling spaces in URI?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:39:44 GMT

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Tom Pepper wrote:
> some *old* code which is still running at large sends requests (lots of
> requests) into our web servers which contain actual spaces in the URI
> GET request.  an example follows.  old versions of apache accepted
> these requests, but some time ago they started replying with 400 bad
> request.

I'm not an expert in this, but I doubt you are going to have any luck
working around this problem on the server side.  According to the HTTP
protocol, the stuff after that space should be the protocol version (ie
HTTP/1.0), and if apache sees a protocol version it doesn't understand, it
isn't going to go further with the request.

(I doubt that any version of apache really processed those correctly.  It
is possible that some versions simply took all the stuff after the space,
threw it away, and assumed HTTP/1.0.)

Joshua.