httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] caching of file permissions/size/date
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:00:17 GMT

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Harald Falkenberg wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> we are using apache 1.3.27/1.3.29 on Solaris 8. The content of the web
> server is mostly stored in a network filesystem (AFS). We found, that
> static pages are handled fast by the web server, dynamic processed pages
> (CGIs, SSIs, etc.) take essential more time. - The performance of
> directory lokkups (like ls -l) consume much more time as without in our
> environment.
>
> We therefore look for a method to cache such file information in apache or
> on the system. Is there something known (a module etc.) which matches that
> need?

Apache 2 has mod_cache/mod_file_cache/mod_mem_cache that do this.  Apache
1.3 doesn't have any native method that I know of.  Some people solve
this by splitting the server in two: a front-end that contains that static
content and a back-end that contains the dynamic content.  The front-end
can then use a reverse-proxy (ProxyPass or the [P] flag to RewriteRule) to
grab content from the back-end and also take advantage of the caching in
mod_proxy.

Joshua.