httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mod-rewrite
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:32:16 GMT

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Jeff White wrote:
> From: "Robert Andersson"
> > The point of the rules is to *reduce* the effects of "hot linking",
> not
> > *prohibit* it. I very much doubt that very many people are going to
> code
> > scripts to get Selmer's images without being troubled visiting his
> pages,
> > nor that it is a problem if a handfull do.
> >

> So everyone understood it was said,
> "Lock the doors to your house, but
> leave the "Windows" open!"

You still don't understand Jeff.  Referer blocking works because the
people you are trying to restrict are the people who make the pages
containing the inline-links to your images.  Those people do not control
the browsers that are used to access their pages.  So by restricting based
on referer, you will break their page for 99% of browsers.  The fact that
1% will see their page fine isn't going to help them.

It is true that blocking based on browser-controlled characteristics (like
user-agent) is rarely effective.  It is effective in this case because you
are not targetting browsers, you are targetting page authors.

> An ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> Microsoft Windows 2000 Scripting Guide
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sagsas_overview.asp

Man, you are funny.  Have you ever heard the expression
"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"?

Joshua.