httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Optimizing Guide
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:13:02 GMT

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Daniel Lopez wrote:

> > I did many of those things already with no big luck, small improvments
> > but images still seem to take a bit to load.
>
> Can you just serve static images and static content from a different,
> dedicated server?
> thats what slashdot does for example, having Apache 1.3 to generate the
> pages and a separate machine for images (it used to be threaded Apache 2, it
> seems it is Boa nowadays)

That seems like a premature suggestion.  We have absolutely no idea what
version of apache this guy is using, what kind of load, what his
configuration looks like, where the performance bottleneck is, etc.

Performance tuning is hard.  Without a detailed assessment of what is
going on, any suggestion would be a wild guess.

I'd start here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_status.html

Joshua.