httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite rules help
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:44:11 GMT

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Danny Scott wrote:
> server. If I use my browser to go to port 8081 on this server it does
> redirect me to port 8080 and everything looks fine. I need this to work
> on the app server level though. Again any help would be very much
> appreciated.

I don't undertand. You are saying your browser works fine.  So what
exactly is the problem?

> <VirtualHost 10.10.10.193:8081>
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule   ^/(.*) http://10.10.10.193:8080/$1
> ProxyPass / http://10.10.10.193:8080
> ProxyPassReverse / http://10.10.10.193:8080
> </VirtualHost>

There is a contradiction there.  The RerwiteRule does an
external-redirect, which essentially just sends a message back to the
server asking it to make a new request on the new port.

The ProxyPass, on the other hand, grabs the data itself from :8080 and
returns it to the client, without the client ever knowing where it came
from.

Either of those should be fine, depending on your requirements.  But
having them both doesn't make sense.

Joshua.