httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ashish Mukherjee <ashi...@cyberspace.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache Load-testing
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:36:11 GMT

Hello! I've been trying to load-test my Web application using a customized
Perl-based tool (using POE for multiple concurrent requests). The tool
provides similar functionality to 'Flood' plus cookies etc.

To try my testing methodology prior to actually performing the load-test,
I replayed my access log corresponding to an hour of moderate traffic
during a very low-traffic period (1am-2am) on my production servers.
Though I was generating much fewer hits than the site currently handles at
peak hours, I was getting much worse latencies than I usually get at peak
hours. Taking a look at server-status showed that during the testing,
at most times all the Apache processes were busy reading/writing to
network. What could be the reasons behind this difference in behaviour?

Thanks for your time.

-- Ashish