httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] New User 101 question: How do you open and save you httpd.conf file
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:42:58 GMT
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Kent Healey wrote:

> When I install Apache (I've had to do it a few times now) and I find my
> httpd.conf file, It does not open normaly.
>
> The windows list pops up and say select which program you would like to open
> this file with.
>
> So I select the note pad. (so far so good?)
>
> Then if I change a line of it, what do I save it as? The note pad can only
> save as text as far as I can tell. So I have save mine as text.
>
> I am begining to get the feeling that this is not the way to change your
> httpd.conf file.
>
> Last time I changed it, it messed everything up, so I simply saved it back
> to the way that it was in the first place (however, since I opened and saved
> it with note book ands save it as a txt file it wasn't the exact same as it
> was in the first place) Or was it?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

You may be running into a problem with Notepad automatically
appending .txt onto the filename when it saves it. You can get
around this by putting the file name in quotation marks
("httpd.conf") when you save it.

Notepad is perfectly suitable to edit Apache configuration files.
(Now everyone can chime in with their favorite Windows text
editors...)

Kyle