httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Smith" <Steve.Sm...@SilsLendir.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Default home page other than index.html
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:35:31 GMT

Agree, my bad.

> Your understanding of DirectoryIndex is exactly correct. However:
>
> - Are you editing the correct config file? (introduce a deliberate
> syntax error to check)
I am editing the httpd.conf file in /etc/httpd/conf so I believe so
it has taken my changes to add a virtual host.

> - Are you restarting apache between edits? (you need at least a
> "graceful")
I do a restart on the httpd service.

> - Are you sure the scope of your DirectoryIndex applies to the doc root
> of your site? eg:
>
> DocumentRoot /home/www/html
> <Directory /home/www/html/subdir>
>   DirectoryIndex a.html b.shtml
> </Directory >
>
> would give:
>
> http://server/ --> /home/www/html/index.html
> http://server/subdir/ --> /home/www/html/subdir/a.shtml

Now this is new to me, I have got it working by apply the change to
the Directory context. Thanks.

The only thing I am left puzzled with is why the GUI tool altered
the virtual hope context. I had felt it logical as it seemed it was
asking for the DirectoryIndex order for each site. Maybe I will
begin to edit the file outside the GUI from here on.

> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle

Thanks Owen for replying so quickly.

Steve