httpd-users mailing list archives

From Janne.Matt...@keypartners.fi
Subject RE: [users@httpd] stderr not working with C cgi-bins
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:46:52 GMT

Thank you sir, you are a godsent :) Turns out that when ScriptLog is set,
stderr is logged neither to error_log nor script_log. How strange. Now I'm
left wondering how to enable ScriptLog without losing std_err.

I do not think the problem is file permissions - I have changed ownership
of script_log, allowed access to it for everybody, and apache seems to be
able to write to it just fine when I mistype the cgi-bin name:

%% [Mon Dec  1 15:23:47 2003] GET /cgi-bin/hellowaorld.cgi?asdf HTTP/1.1
%% 404 /home/somedirectory/public_html/cgi-bin/hellowaorld.cgi
%error
script not found or unable to stat

Besides that error message, I get nothing in the script_log.

- - -
Janne Mattila

|         |           "Boyle Owen"     |
|         |           <Owen.Boyle@swx.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           01.12.2003 15:18 |
|         |           users            |

  |       To:       <users@httpd.apache.org>
                             |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Janne Mattila/FI/TJG)
                       |
  |       Subject:  RE: [users@httpd] stderr not working with C cgi-bins

Not sure STDERR will go to the error_log if you also have a script_log.
Is there nothing in the script_log? If not, who owns script_log? It must
be owned by apache User (ie not by root) or it won't work.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> - - - - - - 8< - - - - - -
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>    printf("Content-Type: text/html\r\n\r\n");
>    printf("<html> <head>\n");
>    printf("<title>Hello, World !</title>\n");
>    printf("</head>\n");
>    printf("<body>\n");
>    printf("<h1>Hello, World!</h1>\n");
>    fprintf(stderr, "debug message to stderr\n\n");
>    fprintf(stdout, "debug message to stdout\n\n");
> }
>
> - - - - - - 8< - - - - - -
>
> Accessing cgi-bin/helloworld.cgi produces the logical output,
> including the
> debug messages printed to stdout. Nothing goes to error_log - I am
> expecting to get the debug messages there. Running the
> compiled cgi-bin
> from shell displays both stderr and stout writes.
>
> On httpd.conf I have settings:
>
> - - - - - - 8< - - - - - -
>
> ErrorLog /etc/apache/logs/error_log
> ScriptLog /etc/apache/logs/script_log
> LogLevel debug
> CustomLog logs/access_log combined
>
> <VirtualHost _default_:443>
> ErrorLog /etc/apache/logs/error_log
> TransferLog /etc/apache/logs/access_log
> CustomLog logs/ssl_request_log \
>           "%t %h %{SSL_PROTOCOL}x %{SSL_CIPHER}x \"%r\" %b"
>
> </VirtualHost>

> As far as I know, start up scripts do not redirect stderr anywhere.
>
> error_log works at least somehow, when I try to access
> non-existing cgi-bin
> I get logical error messages to error_log and script_log.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong?
>
> - - -
> Janne Mattila

Groupe SWX.