httpd-users mailing list archives

From "M. van Renswoude" <m...@x2software.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:18:15 GMT
Glad to hear I'm not alone. It wasn't funny anymore, I couldn't test my PHP
scripts because it just wouldn't respond. I gave up and installed Apache 1.3
next to it, changed the config to point all directories to my Apache 2 ones.
1.3 didn't complain about anything, and now 6 users are downloading big
files from me and I still get fast pages locally. I did notice that showing
a page with lots of images on it takes more time to load compared to Apache
2 (when it doesn't stall that is), so I do hope this is fixed in the WinNT
MPM (assuming that's where the problem lies) since Apache 2 does appear to
be running smoother and more stable when only small files are served...

Mark

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Dean E. [mailto:dean@ripperd2.dhs.org]
Verzonden: zondag 28 december 2003 18:04
Aan: users@httpd.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2, Windows & large files

I have the exact same difficulty.  I'm running 2.0.48 on Win2k pro...

I have just migrated to apache from a different server, but this is very
annoying.  The vast majority of my pages are static, so it's not the cpu or
anything holding it down (it IS only a 450mhz K6-2, but that's plenty for
static html and files.  Can saturate 10mbit ethernet no problem when no
other users are on, but if someone else is downloading, the following
poster's experience is exactly the same as mine.)

-Dean

At 11:41 PM 12/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running Apache 2.0.47 on Windows XP Pro. It runs perfectly, fast as can
>be, except when someone starts downloading a large file. These files range
>from 15 MB to 800 MB. What happens is that the server becomes extremely
>slow, even when calling a page from the same computer or LAN. It doesn't
>have anything to do with the internet connection, as I had the same with
>someone downloading at 0.5 kb/sec while my connection can handle up to 65
>kb/sec (and did when I started uploading using an FTP client to test)...
>I've had this problem with every 2.0 release, can't remember if 1.3
suffered
>the same problem...
>

>The only related thing I changed in my config:
>
><IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
>ThreadsPerChild 64
>MaxRequestsPerChild  0
></IfModule>
>

>...this was set to 250 ThreadsPerChild earlier today, reduced it only as a
>test, didn't change anything. There are only about 5 to 8 open downloads on
>the server, along with me developing on it, so I doubt it's running out of
>available connections.
>

>The computer is a P4 1.8 Ghz, 512 MB DDR, 7200 RPM 80 Gb Maxtor IDE disk,
>sharing it with the rest of my system for normal desktop use. There is no
>excessive disk usage, CPU usage or memory usage. Basically, nothing seems
>be wrong, except Apache stops responding to anything other than the current
>downloads...
>

>I have no clue as to why this is happening, or how Apache can be optimized
>for these situations, so I hope someone on this list has the expertise to
>help me...
>

>Thanks in advance for any reply,
>

>Mark van Renswoude

Dean