httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] New User? home page/ index.html ?
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:29:20 GMT
First point: DirectoryIndex can take a list of filenames as its
argument, so there is nothing wrong with having "DirectoryIndex
index.html index.html.var" or whatever. Apache will just search the list
and serve the first one it finds.

- Check the DocumentRoot - are you sure it points to the directory you
want?

- Check the name of your index file - are you sure it is purely
"index.html"? Check it with a command-line prompt to make sure Windows
hasn't added anything (eg index.html.HTM). Check the name is all lower
case (eg not Index.html).

- When you look at the directory listing for your docroot in the
browser, can you see your index file? What is it called? If you click on
it, can it be opened?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.