httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] [Sat Dec 20 08:40:53 2003] [warn] (22)Invalid argument: connect to listener
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:32:13 GMT
See notes...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This is thrown in server/mpm_common.c when the function
dummy_connection() is called. This function opens and closes a
connection to the server for some clever reason. The warning is thrown
if the connection fails. In itself, this is not serious because the
connection is immediately closed anyway, however, the deeper problem is
that the connection shouldn't normally fail...

> Eventually by the time the error log reaches 8 o'clock, there was no
> more log entries... The process must have gone zombie at that point.
> Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

How big is your logfile? Do you still have space on the disk? Logging
problems can feed back into apache in some cases.

> We aren't using
> SSL on any
> requests... In the access logs I noticed that there are what
> appears to
> be virus attempts to connect to the site:
>
> (ip is removed) - - [20/Dec/2003:15:33:04 -0800] "GET
> /scripts/..%c0%2f../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 339
> I don't think this would be a problem since I'm not running windoze
> but... it's the last access attempt apache recorded.

Absolutely correct. You can ignore these. Apart from wasting bandwidth
there is no risk in receiving these requests.

> If anyone has any information regarding this type of problem, I would
> appreciate it.
>
> --
> Xavier
>
> "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
> Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

views of the sender's company.