httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Byrne <...@glasgowwestend.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache on raq4 .htaccess and standard erorrbehaviour not working.
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:52:50 GMT
on 12/11/03 10:20 AM, Boyle Owen at Owen.Boyle@swx.com wrote:

>> Asking for a file in a directory with .htaccess:
>> www.glasgowwestend.co.uk 62.252.128.10 - -
>> [10/Dec/2003:20:43:11 +0000] "GET
>> /mymail/admin/ HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh;
>> U; PPC; en-US;
>> rv:1$
>
> 401 - Authorization required. The browser sent a request without
> credentials so gets back a 401. It is then supposed to pop-up a password
> challenge to the user and repeat the request with the supplied user/pass
> (aka credentials). Nothing wrong here.

Hi Owen,

Yes - that is correct - it is suppossed to pop-up a password challange - but
it doesn't - it says 'document contains no data' (Netscape).

>> There is no entry in the error log related to the .htaccess
>> failure, that I
>> can find.
>
> What .htaccess failure? Nothing in the above points to any failure in
> apache. I still don't fully understand what the problem is... Is it
> that:
>
> file exists, no authorization: file delivered
> file exists, authorization reqd: file delivered after password
> file doesn't exist, no authorization: error 404
> file doesn't exist, authorization reqd: "document contains no data"

The last one: when the file doesn't exist, or there is a .htaccess file in
hte director - I get the error dialog, 'document contains no data'.

> This is an important message and nothing to do with apache - it points
> to a problem in your network or in the ethernet card. Do you have any
> ideas about it?

The rest of the pages are served as normal - the problem only appears when
their is a .htaccess file, or when the file doesn't exist (I should get the
usual 404 message - but don't). I'm not sure why this should be - I'm not
aware of a problem with the network or ethernet card. this is why I was
thinking the problem is in some way related to the way Apache is responding
to error conditions.

All the best,
Jim