httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stephen Hardisty" <shardi...@messagelabs.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication problems
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:28:52 GMT
>> <Directory /var/www/html/blah>
>> AllowOverride AuthConfig
>> AuthUserFile /var/www/html/blah/.htpasswd
>> AuthName "Blah login"
>> AuthType Basic
>> require valid-user
>> order deny,allow
>> </Directory>
>>
>> No matter what I put in here (and I've tried loads of combinations),
>> nothing happens. I'm going to have a fit soon I think. Is there
>> anything that turns off authentication or am I just doing something
>> dumb? FYI, I'm using Apache 2.0.40.

>Otherwise, edit that directory block to contain:
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all

Hi, tried that, restarted etc. still nothing. Above that section I have the following entries
that might be causing problems but I don't see how or why:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/html">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from xxx.xxx.xx
</Directory>

I've tried setting AllowOverride to All on these, but still nothing. Is there some way of
just turning authentication off? A module not loaded or added perhaps? AGGH!

Cheers!

http://www.messagelabs.com