httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marty Landman <MLand...@face2interface.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] newbie suexec quandary
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:22:58 GMT
At 04:54 AM 12/7/2003, André Malo wrote:

>Hope you've read <http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html>

Yes, as best I could. :)

>1st: you're looking for httpd in path. The default install (from vanilla) goes
>into /usr/local/apache2

Ah-hah. Please keep telling yourself "pity the poor newbie; we were all
newbies once" as you read what I have to say. I  installed Apache2 from the
FreeBSD ports collection ~3 weeks ago; nice feature of the ports is I don't
have to actually know anything, guess that's also a potential 'gotcha'
feature. Now based on your advice I found things worked only not the way
I'd wanted, to wit:

Swami: /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -l
Compiled in modules:
[snip]
   mod_suexec.c
[snip]
Swami: `which httpd` -l
Compiled in modules:
   core.c
   prefork.c
   http_core.c
   mod_so.c

>You might use either the --prefix option to configure or
>--enable-layout=FreeBSD if it matches for you.

The latter also appears to be what the port used so guess that's what I'll
use too.

>After that there should be suexec compiled in (please check out the other
>suexec options as well during the next try :-). See
><http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/configure.html#suexec>.

I already did - one of the problems with being a newbie is that the default
all look fine afaik now; but of course I can imagine more recompiles in my
future.

>After startup the right httpd, it should be written into the errorlog at
>startup that suexec is enabled. To actually use it, you need to specify
>for each virtualhost which is supposed to run CGIs as a different user the
>particular user and group with the following directive:
><http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_suexec.html#suexecusergroup>

Thanks much, it's in the oven now. Will post back the results to the list
either way.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site