httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] oops i busted apache
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:10:21 GMT
Bryan Irvine wrote:
> [Robert Andersson wrote:]
> > Bryan Irvine wrote:
> > > Ok I managed to get it all working again.  [...] Then the html file
> > > was malformed, apache just didn't notice until after the upgrade.
> >
> > And, I bet it doesn't notice after the upgrade either. Apache has no
> > concept of HTML except as a MIME-type, which probably was
> > the original problem in one way or another.
>
> I'm not sure why it wouldn't work until I wrapped my meta tag in html;
> like so

> Then it finally started working.

Ah, the change in the HTML did probably only affect the *browser*, not
Apache. Your problem might be that Apache isn't sending a "text/html"
MIME-type, why the browser might display it as text unless it finds an

See if you can verify that theory, either by telnetting and manually request
it and watch the response, or use Mozilla Firebird with the Live HTTP
Headers plugin:
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/extensionlist.php?app=Firebird#livehttpheaders

> But, I couldn't even get that far until I uncommented a bunch of
> lines from my httpd2.conf that were commented out for some reason
> (that's what I get for upgrading from mandrake rpm's instead of from
> source ;-), and for not keeping up to date backups).

Did the RPM update cause httpd.conf to be replaced? Is that normal behaviour
for these RPMs, or is it a bug?

> As for why the file wouldn't work...I dunno, apache was just sending
> it out as a different mime-type until it had the html tags in it.  The
file
> was working the way it was for a year and half just the way it was.

Are you sure Apache is currently sending the corrent mime-type (the
Content-Type header)? Apache will normally not care about the file's content
at all.

Regards,
Robert Andersson