httpd-users mailing list archives

From "#LIU HAIFENG#" <lhaif...@pmail.ntu.edu.sg>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache2 and win2K RE: [users@httpd] repost theweird problem ---apache test fail
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:03:23 GMT
Thank you, Robert!  Yes, this should be the answer.  There have been a lot of same experiences
reported.  It seems that I have to uninstall the Mcafee products.

Regards
Haifeng

________________________________

From: Robert Andersson [mailto:robert@profundis.nu]
Sent: Tue 12/9/2003 8:42 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache2 and win2K RE: [users@httpd] repost theweird problem ---apache
test fail

#LIU HAIFENG# wrote:
> I have tried your build Apache_2.0.48-Openssl_0.9.7c-Win32.zip
> on two pcs, both are operated by windows2000, one with mcafee
> firewall installed and another without the firewall.  Apache worked on
> the one without firewall but failed on the one with firewall (even
disabled).
> I am still not sure if the problem is dependent on the installed firewall
software.

It is. Firewalls implement their own TCP stack, which generally are buggy
and can break software like Apache, because all traffic flows through it
(even if it's disabled). McAffee's Firewall is well known to be a problem
with Apache (search the bug database!). Rule of thumb: don't use software
firewalls on production (Windows) servers.

Regards,
Robert Andersson